Rainbow Grocery, my local worker-owned co-op vegetarian grocery store, has a reputation for being a little bit alternative, in every way. It’s the polar opposite of a cookie-cutter Safeway – the heavily tattooed guy with pierced cheeks who helps me find bulk maple syrup, the fact that it HAS bulk maple syrup (and bulk Hawaiian black salt, mesquite flour, and Inca berries, among other things), the lengthy co-op meetings debating whether they should carry Israeli products in light of the Palestinian genocide. I also love the irreverent and also hilarious descriptions of their various products on their handwritten labels. So in light of all this, I guess it’s not too surprising that that Rainbow is celebrating Hallowe’en this year with a candy display featuring lifelike dismembered limbs and body parts. I was quite impressed…and though I’m not sure what this says about San Francisco or our expectations of Rainbow, it’s worth nothing that none of the other shoppers seemed to give the display a second look.
Search Gay Highwaymen
- Spiny Lumpsucker
- Gay Activism and Iran: Do Western Activists Do More Harm Than Good? (Link to article by Scott Long)
- Emigrant: The Other White Meat?
- Obama Loves Queers! (Except Not)
- Hot (the bad kind) in the Mission
- HuffPost Gay Voices: Liberian Anti-Gay Group Issues Hit List, Governments Do Nothing
- Exotic, Fresh, and Fruity: Seen at the Asian Market
- Deadly Beauties
- More boy love/lust graffiti in SF
- “I WHAT Cock?” – Construction Sign Self-Expression
- Gay Highwaymen correspondent AidanAbroad sends pics from China…
- Married at last! Gay pair make it official on 30th anniversary…
- Island hopping…
- Mussel Otter wants to…
- I know you like poke…
- Water bags for water boys?
- Inky gods’ stray musings from the Prophat of the Church of More Men…
- Drying shorts O’ahu style
- Board boys are a bit bored…
- Waikiki brunch and a bit of olden daze sex…